Are you a Business Owner?
Set up your Private Seller Account and create your listing todayGet Started Here
Birmingham branch was founded by the current owners in November 2016 and the business has seen consistent growth during that time and has many regular customers, many of whom use the business on a daily basis.
The business is now being sold, albeit reluctantly only due to family commitments. The owner is keen to see his well-loved business pass to an ambitious new owner who can take this already thriving business to the next level.
The business is working on multiple lines, aiming to be a jack of all trades and to attract a wide range of customers.
The store sells merchandise, board and card games, comics and graphic novels, with an accompanying fully equipped cafe.
The store also has a wide and growing organized play scene, offering sanctioned tournaments for the major card games:
- Magic The Gathering
- Exodus the trading card games
- Transformers TCG
- Warhammer Champions
- Blood Bowl (2 different leagues)
- Final Fantasy
- Cardfight! Vanguard
- Weiss Schwarz
- Future Card Buddyfight
- RPG days and night
Since the opening the owners actively worked on the communities for the above games.
The Facebook page has 1900+ followers, and all the listed games have a dedicated Facebook group with several members where we actively post updates and engage our regular customers.
There is also in the social media package
- meetup 1000+ members
- twitter 150+ followers
- Instagram 200+ followers
- we are listed as one of the comics retailer in Birmingham City Centre. Albeit not offering a selection of items as big as a proper comic store it has been focused on selling several indie comics and novels which has been very well received by our customer base. There is also a subscription service which has been used by a number of existing customers and it's generating monthly revenue.
Bar and Cafe
Store offers a wide range of hot and cold drinks and several food items which have been well received by our customers. Top selling items include
- Cookies and doughnuts
- Cheese nachos with various toppings
- American candies
- a range of different burgers, toasties and paninis
- good selection of hot drinks (tea, coffee such as americano, latte, cappuccino, flat white, various herbal teas)
Reasons to Buy
- An established business with an enviable reputation and many regular customers. Store is known to be a perfect place for gamers and weekly tournaments.
- Prime trading position with loads of footfall. Store is placed in the very city centre of Birmingham.
- Current owner happy to offer a handover to ensure the continued success
- A real opportunity to increase turnover significantly, there are several areas which can be explored.
Birmingham is a city and Metropolitan borough in the West Midland with an estimated population of 1,101,360 as of 2014 making it the second most populous city of England and the United Kingdom.
Birmingham is frequently referred to as the second city of England. According to the 2014 Mercer Quality Of Living survey, Birmingham was placed 51st in the world, which is the second highest rating in the UK.
Partly due to its central location, Birmingham is a major transport hub on the motorway, rail and canal networks. The city is served by the M5, M6, M40 and M42 motorways.
Store is prominently situated in an elevated position overlooking the busy Queensway in Birmingham City Centre, next to Games Workshop which also attract similar customers. The relationship with Games Workshop has proved to be very rewarding and several customers are coming from there for our Blood Bowl Organized play.
The area is a particularly busy and vibrant one with many retail shops and offices and the business thus benefits from really high levels of footfall along with passing trade.
The business is nicely presented and maintained and there are a number of car parks within easy walking distance
The store occupies the two floors of a modern building.
The ground floor is the core, where till area, coffee shop and merchandise are displayed. The upstairs floor is generally used by larger group, and events (such as prereleases, or meetup/games day which are run by one of our tournament organizers. The number of customers in store could be easily up to 100 (65 upstairs floor, around 40 downstairs)
The space upstairs could easily be re-organized with a purchase of more tables and chairs to comfortably fit 90/100 customers, which could be extremely useful to host regional tournament in house instead of renting a space for the event.
The upstairs floors also has a very large and convenient area for the stock room where all the merchandise can be stored, and the customer's WC area.
Games sold in store
- various board games
- Card game accessories (card sleeves protector, deck boxes, life counter, Binders, playmats
- Funko pops and figures
- Pop culture mugs and pint glasses
- Comics and novels
- second hand merchandise and comics. Geek Retreat is well known about this and sells a very good amount of second hand items.
- D&D and RPG accessories and manuals
- Arcade machines are available for play in store with 50p / £1 per game
- There is a wide selection of singles card sold individually. Customer base is aware of this chose the store as a first point of contact.
- TCG including:
- Magic the gathering
- Weiss Schwarz
- Force of Will
- Final Fantasy
- Exodus, the trading card games (exclusive to UK and with an existing and exclusive community!)
- Cardfight Vanguard
- Future Card Buddyfight
- Star Wars Destiny
- Dragon Ball Super card games
- Warhammer Champion
- Transformers TCG
- Windows and glazed door to front creating a light, airy and inviting interior
- Laminated floor, no carpet
- Kitchen area
- shelves and slatwall with good display of the merchandise
- shelves and spinner for comics and novel display
- Doughnuts and cookies jar displays
- 4 slot toasters
- 2 microwave ovens
- 1 Buffalo professional grill
- undercounter fridge
- 1 undercounter freezer
- 1 large chest freezer
- professional dishwasher
- 1 big display coca cola branded fridge display a wide range of soft drinks
- draft equipment for soft drinks to be installed shortly
- Blenders and milkshake equipment
- Rancilio Coffee machine
- a generous room for food and drinks storage in a convenient area.
We can offer the contact of all our suppliers, which include discount and convenient prices we reached during our period of work.
If interested, please contact the seller through the form on this page.
The existing 10-year lease has approximately 8 years remaining, and the possibility to opt out at the fifth year. The rent is £39,500 which is reasonable given the prime position in the heart of Birmingham City Centre and the size of the premises.
£39,500 per annum
Prime trading position with loads of footfall. Placed in the very city centre of Birmingham. The area is well served by Buses, Tram and Train.
The city is served by the M5, M6, M40 and M42 motorways.
The store has 2 generous floor which can accommodate a large number of customers. The retail area has been concentrated on ground floor.
A1 consent already granted.
- Social media - a youtube channel could be created with videos of the new arrivals and new releases for games and comics, with reviews of new products.
- new area of gaming (Games Workshop stocking program is one option which could generate a lot of interest)
- there are several office in the area. Offering team building and relax events for local office could be an interesting area
- workshops and discussions
- rent of the upstairs floor
There are 2 main places of competitions:
- Game HQ which sells Trading card games
- Forbidden planet for comics and merchandise
There is no board game cafe / social club such as this store the city of Birmingham, which allows the business to be unique in its genre.
The business is now being sold, albeit reluctantly due to family commitments.
Monday to Friday 11.00 am – 9.00 pm
Saturday 10.00 am - 8.00 pm
Sunday 12.00 am – 7.00 pm
This is a franchise. At the moment there are a total of 5 stores open in UK.
Please note this business opportunity is for one of the branches, which operates as Franchisee of the brand. A buyer must stipulate a contract with the Franchisor in order to proceed.
Owners are willing to spend time as required and training the following:
- Food and drinks preparation
- Tournament organizations, use of the software
- Food and Hygiene procedures
- Stock levels and orders
- Facebook business training
- Game and products knowledge
Franchisor will also be able to provide additional training on demand
If you own a business and are considering selling, visit our Sell a Business section. Limited Free Trial available.Sell Your Business